Massachusetts Legal professional Normal Maura Healey’s business office announced on Tuesday that property enhancement contractor Richard Capachione is banned from proudly owning or managing construction providers in the state and is to pay out $150,000 in restitution.
As portion of the settlement, the Suffolk Remarkable Court docket ordered the dissolution of the three residence enhancement firms owned by Capachione. Specifically, New England Hardscapes Inc., Aqua Outdoor Environments and R and R Consulting LLC.
The AG’s office alleges that for yrs, Capachione, as a result of his a few firms, gathered hundreds of countless numbers of bucks in shopper deposits and periodic payments for residence enhancement jobs across the point out that were being either under no circumstances begun or deserted mid-way through, leaving numerous qualities weakened and in dangerous and unsanitary situations.
“Remodeling a house can be a substantial, expensive hard work, and it is devastating when houses are still left in even worse problem than they commenced, with revenue invested on unfinished perform,” claimed Healey. “This settlement returns thousands of pounds to Massachusetts householders who have been taken gain of by this contractor’s deceptive tactics.”
Considering that 2013, Capachione’s businesses have been supplying building products and services in Massachusetts, precisely, the installation and construction of swimming swimming pools and pool decks, outdoor residing spaces and retaining walls.
“Capachione would then interact in a pattern of delays and excuses, finally failing to accomplish the renovations or supply the materials he was paid to deliver or procure,” said the assertion from the AG’s place of work. “Despite Capachione and his businesses currently being monetarily unstable, he ongoing to solicit new small business, enter into new agreements, and take new deposits from consumers.”
Following acquiring various complaints and allegations from former buyers of Capachione’s, Healey’s place of work commenced its investigation in 2019.
According to Healey’s business, Capachione would enter into published agreements with new clients that lacked the necessary disclosures required by the law. The AG’s business office mentioned that this bundled the contractor’s registration quantity, a comprehensive description of the perform to be finished, and the day when the venture was scheduled to commence and be substantially completed.
The AG’s business provides the next advice to these who are thinking of choosing a residence advancement contractor:
- Store sensibly and do study. Check with your good friends and neighbors for suggestions about contractors they have utilized and have confidence in and always question contractors for references. Test to make confident your contractor is registered with the Business of Client Affairs and Small business Regulation, which will allow you to look at any grievance history.
- Solicitations. Be further cautious if a contractor solicits small business by the cellphone or by knocking on the doorway.
- Get it in writing. Make certain you acquire a composed contract or selling price estimate that facts the job that will be performed. For a lot more complicated projects, check with for an itemized estimate.
- Permits. Your registered property advancement contractor should get any creating permits essential by your town or city. If you pull the permits on your own, you hurt your means to get well if one thing goes erroneous.
- Upfront fees. Be wary of contractors who desire the entire price tag of the work up entrance. For most home improvement projects that exceed $1,000, people are not able to be necessary to make a deposit of a lot more than one-third of the venture value in progress, besides for orders of custom-built components.
Get in touch with the AG’s Office’s buyer help hotline with queries 617-727-8400 or file a criticism on line.