Richard Capachione to pay out $150,000 in restitution for home improvement scam impacting dozens of buyers
BOSTON (WWLP) – A dwelling improvement contractor is banned from doing business in Massachusetts after a settlement with the Attorney General’s Place of work.
Legal professional Common Maura Healey announced Tuesday, Richard Capachione, a home enhancement contractor from Acton, has been banned from owning or running a design firm and will pay $150,000 in restitution following allegations that he ripped off dozens of homeowners in Massachusetts.
Capachione is necessary to shut his 3 corporations, New England Hardscapes, Inc., Aqua Outside Environments, and R and R Consulting, LLC less than the consent judgment entered in Suffolk Superior Courtroom. Due to the fact 2013, Capachione offered development providers this sort of as, the set up and building of swimming pools and pool decks, and the design of out of doors dwelling spaces and retaining walls.
The investigation began in 2019 immediately after the Attorney General’s Workplace been given grievances from consumers alleging that they had been paying for house enhancement tasks, only for those people tasks to remain unfinished. Capachione eventually filed for individual bankruptcy.
The AG’s Place of work alleged that Capachione violated point out client defense rules, and the Dwelling Advancement Contractor Act by entering into written agreements with new customers that lacked essential disclosures necessary by the law, which includes the contractor’s registration selection, a thorough description of the work to be completed, the date when the venture was scheduled to get started and substantially accomplished, and observe that the contractor was demanded to be registered with the state’s Place of work of Consumer and Organization Affairs (OCABR).
“Remodeling a household can be a massive, high priced effort, and it is devastating when properties are left in even worse issue than they begun, with dollars spent on unfinished do the job,” claimed AG Healey. “This settlement returns countless numbers of pounds to Massachusetts householders who have been taken advantage of by this contractor’s deceptive practices.”
Suggestions: Using the services of a home enhancement contractor
- Store wisely and do investigate. Ask your good friends and neighbors for suggestions about contractors they have utilized and have faith in and often check with contractors for references. Look at to make certain your contractor is registered with the Business of Client Affairs and Small business Regulation, which will let you to check out any grievance historical past.
- Solicitations. Be more careful if a contractor solicits business enterprise by the cell phone or by knocking on the doorway.
- Get it in crafting. Make sure you attain a penned agreement or price estimate that details the position that will be done. For much more complex assignments, ask for an itemized estimate.
- Permits. Your registered dwelling enhancement contractor need to get any making permits necessary by your city or city. If you pull the permits your self, you hurt your means to get well if a thing goes erroneous.
- Upfront fees. Be wary of contractors who desire the full selling price of the function up front. For most dwelling enhancement assignments that exceed $1,000, buyers can not be necessary to make a deposit of a lot more than just one-third of the task price in advance, except for orders of customized-built materials.
- Contact the AG’s Office’s purchaser support hotline with questions 617-727-8400 or file a grievance online right here.